Thanksgiving – one of our favorite times of the year!
We’re thankful for many things. For example, cranberry sauce, turkey, mashed potatoes, and all things apple, pumpkin and pecan pie (yum!).
But more importantly, we especially appreciate three things this holiday season:
1. The right to homeschool.
In all the hustle and bustle of daily life, we sometimes need a reminder about how fortunate we are to be able to homeschool.
Homeschooling was only recognized as a legal option in every state in the 1990s, thanks in large part to efforts by the Home School Legal Defense Association and political action by thousands of pioneering homeschool families.
Even today, HSLDA continually monitors and defends homeschooling rights and privileges by advocating on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures, and on national media.
That’s why we recommend HSLDA membership for all homeschool families (and you get a $15 discount when you sign up through MPE).
2. Our members and volunteers.
Every one of our MPE member families – all 1,000 of them and counting – is the reason why we exist!
We started from 17 families, who started meeting in 1986, to the organization we are today. Throughout the years, we stand in awe of the dedication to homeschooling that flourishes in our community.
We’d be remiss if we also didn’t thank all our volunteers who allow us to offer our services and events, including:
- The young adults, all homeschooled or homeschool graduates, who volunteer at our homeschool conference.
- The mentor moms who stand ready to answer any questions from new or current homeschooling families.
- Our support group leaders and our Board and Conference Committee members.
- The event coordinators and volunteers who put together our women’s encouragement days, used curriculum sales, how-to-homeschool workshops and graduation ceremonies.
3. Ways to pay it forward for other homeschoolers.
Did you know you can also help other homeschool families through your holiday shopping?
We’ve registered MPE on AmazonSmile, where Amazon donates a percentage of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice!
We’ll direct any funds raised through AmazonSmile into our general fund. This, in turn, helps support scholarships for low-income homeschool families and subsidize costs for our homeschool events.
(These events include our popular Women’s Encouragement Day and Used Curriculum Sale.)
Well, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Let us know in the comments!